The Lincolnshire Wheelchair Service is an integrated service which provides for:
- Referrals – if a patient meets the NHS eligibility criteria they are referred into the service by a qualified healthcare professional. Existing service users are able to self-refer.
- Clinical assessments – establishes the clinical need. The assessment is undertaken by a trained wheelchair therapist and takes place either at the service centre, home, work, school or other healthcare setting. The level of need is identified and a prescription issued.
- Specialist seating – provision of seating for postural requirements
- Handover/Delivery of equipment – Your assessment will take place at our wheelchair clinic in Teal Park or another appropriate location, i.e. school or health care setting. Home assessments can be undertaken only in certain circumstances. This will be agreed after triage by the clinical team.
- Repairs and maintenance – service available 8am – 11pm, 7 days a week including bank holidays via telephone or website request form.
- Review – a service user can request a review at any time and pre-booked reviews can be arranged to ensure that the wheelchair issued still meets their clinical need.
- Collection when the wheelchair is no longer required – wheelchairs that are no longer required are collected from the service user’s home.
- Refurbishment and recycling – collected wheelchairs are assessed and where possible are refurbished to an as-new condition. Where this is not an option then re-useable parts will be taken off the chair and used for repairs.
- Personal Wheelchair Budgets – formerly the wheelchair voucher scheme allows greater flexibility, choice and personalisation and may form part of a wider care plan that has identified health and wellbeing outcomes.